One of the leading card payments networks, Mastercard has filed for fifteen trademarks, five each for its “Circles” logo, the popular “Priceless” slogan, and its brand name for several NFT, Metaverse, and financial goods and services.
According to the Washington-based NFT trademark attorney, Michael Kondoudis, Mastercard submitted the trademark applications to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) on April 4.
The trademarks related to the slogan, logo, and brand name “Mastercard” includes:
- Providing services in virtual worlds or metaverse.
- Conducting cultural events or award shows in the field of finance, technology, cryptocurrency, NFTs–in the metaverse.
- Processing e-commerce virtual debit/credit cards and their payment card transactions.
- An online marketplace for NFTs.
- Downloadable music and multimedia files authenticated by NFTs.
These filings, according to Kondoudis, follow the trend of NFT and metaverse trademark filings from the “financial services sector”. He said, “Clearly, Mastercard sees the potential of the Metaverse and is preparing its trademarks and brand for the virtual economy that will dominate it.”
Brands are realizing the importance of metaverse protection, as proven by the increased number of trademark filings. The Crypto Times reported a similar filing by AmEx recently. The USPTO received seven new trademark applications related to metaverse in registering the American Express, its Centurion logo, and slogans.